Reppingen EKB - thread in English

• Hallo,

Reppingen EKB threads auf Deutsch:
    EKB von Reppingen
    Dampfmodellbau Reppingen - Bausatz EKB (18, 19, 20c)

This is the only forum I have found with some info and decent knowledge about the live steam models from Reppingen. Hopefully I can get some questions answered here, as several of my questions sent to Ralph Reppingen are never answered. It will be helpful for me to keep this thread in English, but feel free to write in German, or a mix, ie. if you write in English and don't know the proper English word just use the German word. Quite often technical words are similar in German and Norwegian, but totally different in English. :)

I have been working on the EKB for a while, and I am sorry to say that the Reppingen EKB kit has been a disappointment. There are three big issues: Crappy building instructions, missing parts and parts which do not fit and work properly. Which of cause slows building progress and leads to some frustrations. :?

Building instructions
    Some steps are well described, other steps are totally missing. The EKB model obviously comes in different variations, and is being constantly changed and "improved". The photos are of older versions or of totally different models. Reppingen has sent me several new photos, but even some of them are differing from the model I have.

Missing parts
    I received the kit in July 2014 and hopefully I have now got the last shipment of parts in the end of February 2015. A very big problem is that there is no complete check list, so you will not discover which parts are missing until you get to the point where you need the parts. In combination with the above mentioned crappy building instructions it can also be hard to figure out whether you actually are missing something or if your version of the kit is different. So, several extra letters and packets have been sent from Reppingen. Maybe not a big issue if you live in Germany, but living in Norway and outside EU it can take a week or two.

Parts do not fit
    According to Ralph Reppingen the EKB kit should be "just to put thogether with a screwdriver". This is very far from the truth. I expected to do some filing and sanding to remove burr etc, but the amount of metal work required to make parts fit and work properly has been a big disappointment. I could make a long list of all the cutting, drilling, reaming, filing, sanding, making threads, etc I have had to do. I wonder if I have been unlucky and got a kit made at the end of a batch with worn drills and reamers. I find it very strange that I even have to drill up several of the holes for the standard M2 bolts to get them through.

Anyway, disappointments are all about expectations. If you know what you get, have the required skills and a well equipped workshop the Reppingen EKB kit might be the right challenge. I have experience with live steam, but this is my first loco kit. I have had to invest in a lot of new tools, and a positive thing is that I am learning and improving my skills. Currently my chassis runs promising on air, so I still believe I will get a powerful and good running engine in the end. :roll:

Grüße aus Norwegen,
    Thomas

• And then some questions... :GR

Do your Reppingen boilers and gas tanks come with serial numbers and certificates?

Did your gas tank fit inside the cab?
    Are you able to close the lid on the leftside tank?

Is there any user manual available for the EKB?
    What is the normal working pressure?
    When should the security valve release?

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Thomas

• Hi Thomas

i had to remove some brass right below the left front window to make the gastank fit inside the cab. After that .. It worked (somehow)! I also had to drill new holes in the footplate.

The lid closes after a few filestrokes.

I've shared your experiences. Carry on!

Regards-Oliever.

PS: there are no serial numbers or certificates. This is not England ;)

• Hi Thomas,

welcome to the live steam addicts, even if your beginning is not as smooth as expected, at a later stage you definitely will like and enjoy it. What right now happens to you, is almost normal. I built a Reppingen 996001 and the manual with its photos differed from the delivered version slightly. Some bores and/or threads were missing, some "adjustments" by filing had to be done.That is normal, you never get along with just a screw driver, except you buy an expensive kit from Aster.

With respect to the manual, this is always a compromise. Makers of steam locos are builders, not writers, that is a job with low priority, it does not generate money at the end. Imagine, for an absolute beginner a manual of 500 pages plus would be necessary, and, on the other hand, if you once have built, let me say, 5 steam locos, you need a manual of five pages only. It is therefore always a compromise. To make it short for people who occasionally or frequently need some assistance, join a forum like here, the answer is just a few key strokes away.

With respect to a user manual, I never have seen any. You mention your live steam experience, just again in a few steps:

1) Rinse the boiler several times to remove all residues from soldering etc., best, before assembly...
    2) Fill the gas tank 2-3 times and empty it completely (without ignition) to remove the remaining air in the gas tank, outdoors please. This helps to ignite the gas later.
    3) Fill the boiler with suitable water (that is a long different story what is suitable) to approx. 70%
    4) Fill the oiler with steam oil
    5) Open the gas valve slightly, ignite on top of the chimney. You will hear when the burner burns correctly, adjust gas flow. If the flame remains in the smoke chamber, close the gas valve and retry.
    6) The safety valve should open around 4-5bar pressure, for normal operation 3bar or less should be sufficient.
    7) Check the water level, never let the boiler run dry.

I wish you good progress!

Andreas

• Hi Thomas
    Sorry to hear your troubles. :shock:
    Missing parts are indeed annoying. Holds you up in your progress, have to wait until parts arrive. This is especially true when you live farther away from your locomotive source. :OW
    Only Aster and OS have good parts list.
    I just started my Wyko 995001 kit, and so far I am very satisfied with the quality of it. :Q I have not had a misplaced hole or bad/unfinished screw hole. It came with a CD that had the building instructions and a photo library of the build itself. No user manual or parts list either. :oops:
    I think it is a universal assumption that when you buy a building kit, you have a fair amount of technical/mechanical knowledge and skill.
    If your skill,knowledge and tool set is limited to screwdriver and other basic tools, you are much better off buying a RTR/built up locomotive.
    Even an ASTER "bolt together" kit needs thorough mechanical understanding and a significantly larger than basic tool kit.
    For me though, working through problems, solving and fixing messed up parts myself, is a significant part of the fun. :thumbup:
    Please do not loose your enthusiasm, Reppingen locos look great, and when your running your finished loco all past troubles will be a distant thing! :flt:
    Denes

P.S. I have my Wyko 995001 building report in english here:
    http://www.cgtrains.com/t1292-…k-a-arrived-to-new-jersey
    and here:
    http://forums.mylargescale.com…ine-dicke-k-995001-a.html

Gruss:
    Denes

Vasutas üdvözlettel:
    Dénes :flt:

• Hi all,

Thanks for your answers. As I said, disappointments are all about expectations, and mine where certainly wrong. Sounds like this is what to expect from a Regner kit as well?

Yes, the Brits seem to be a bit paranoid regarding boiler testing and certificates. Then I assume that non of the German vendors like Regner, Herrmann and Reppingen deliver their locos with such. (?) The reason for asking was this image on the Reppingen website showing an EKB with what seems to be a serial number on the boiler.

I think I manage very well without a user manual. I just expected there to be one. I'm only looking for specific info about the EKB. Things like the working pressure can vary between models and vendors. As Reppingen also sells RTR locos it is strange not to provide any user manual. Though, I find it even more strange (and a bit annoying) that Reppingen does not answer my questions about it. Investing some time in documentation will usually pay off in less support, but of cause it is a trade-off. Though, I guess Reppingen would save both time and extra shipping costs by at least making a check list for him self. :wink:

In January I started on a Roundhouse chassis with Riverdale boiler, and it is a totally different world. Nice and detailed building instructions and complete check list for all parts. The Roundhouse building instructions can be downloaded from their website and can actually be useful reading when building any live steam loco.

Kind regards,
    Thomas

• Hi Thomas,

my Regner Loco kit had a bolier certificate.

And all my Regner kits had detailed checklists of parts with photos and tables.

The building instructions are a bit "thin" but it depends on the builder - te more experience one has, the more suitable can a thinner intsuct help.

This does not help you in detail, but a wrote this as an Info to you.

I have the 3PCW from Roundhouse and was very satisfied with the delivery, the product and the building guide.

Best regards to you in beautiful Norway,

Zoltan

LG Zoltan
    Somestaler Eisenbahn-Aktiengesellschaft
    BW Traktion Langkatzenhofen
    SzvVT - Szamosvölgyi Vaspálya Társaság
    877_2015080444_bahnhofhosszumacskasvontatasitelepkicsi.jpg
    http://www.lokteam.at/

• Hi Thomas,

I do not know other manufacturers but Regner from personal experience, but I am satisfied with themir quality and service.
    Of course there can be minor differences in the building instructs if something changes in the model inbetween.
    It is no problem for an experienced modeler with suiting tools.
    If I get in trouble, I seek advice at more experienced profis.

The only thing is with Regner's, they do not like to answer the e-mails very much :)
    They read them, but a phone contact is better if you want a direct feedback.
    I use to write them a detailed mail and phone them after it was sent if I want a quick answer.
    But it is a small company and they have a lot to do.

I am just waiting for the boiler kit.
    I hope it arrives soon, I ordered it december last year.
    I shall post if it also has a boiler cert :)

BR Zoltan

LG Zoltan

• Hi Thomas,

in relation to the boiler certificate:
    I think it exist a certificate for your boiler type. Ralf Reppingen has it in his office!
    I think he need only one certificate for the prototyp.
    This boiler is checked by a german technical inspection assosiation they gave him the certificate.
    And all other boiler are made by this (proto)typ and markerd with DRM.
    For a smal manufacturer is it enought.

Regards
    Sascha

Moin Moin

• Hi Thomas!

My boiler came today :)

It has a similar type certificate like Sascha mentioned, and a copy of it is attached to the building instructions.

BR Zoltan

LG Zoltan

• Hello again,

Thanks for the info. I found myself sounding a bit grumpy here, but it is not really the case. More a matter of frustration. :roll:

Anyway, I have got an e-mail from Ralph Reppingen saying he is getting help translating the user manual into English. :thumbup: Though, I don't know whether this indicates that there exist a user manual in German. (?)

Note that my criticism of the building instructions is not related to language issues. In case any other read this and wonder... the building instructions are only available in German. I have had no problems with that. I have also got the building instructions as a PDF file which makes it easy to copy and paste into Google translate if needed. Though, Google sometimes makes some funny and weird translations.

For "Deutsch - Norwegisches Wörterbuch" I can recommend Heinzelnisse.

Regards,
    Thomas

• Hi EKB-fans,

Very slow progress, and I only have my self to blame. :pff:
    I have now mounted the lamps and done the wiring.
    I think it is a good idea to do it before mounting the footplate to the frame.
    The lights are controlled by a small and inexpensive servo which is
    controlled by a tree-way switch on the RC transmitter.
    The servo motor is removed and the potentiometer is replaced by two resistors.
    By using the trim for the center point I get 'on forward' - off - 'on backward' on the switch.

Fröhliche Ostern,
    Thomas

• Hi,

It is a good idea to mount the lights before... I did not do so and had a lot of trouble installing the light circuits in the readybuilt loco later on.

But your solution - I just cannot figure out how this works.

Why the castrated servo at all?

No motor, no pot, just 2 resistors...

Could you please post here some details (exact wiring etc) about this light solution?

Zoltan

LG Zoltan

• I have done the first few test steam-ups and have some issues.

The steam valve doesn't close properly.
    It leaks steam when supposed to be shut.
    I have verified this by detaching the steam pipe from the valve.
    I have contacted Reppingen, but not got any reply.

According to Reppingen the safety valve should open at 4 bar
    and close 1 bar below, ie at 3 bar.
    My safety valve opens at 5 bar and close at 3,4 bar.
    How can it be adjusted? Is it like the Roundhouse valve?
    I have tried to use a plier in the holes on top, but it seems stuck.

Else, it seems like this is a very powerful and easy rolling engine.
    It will probably require a heavy load to pull.
    Though, it ran quite well at only 0,3 bar on air, but I'm not happy
    with the timing on steam, so I think I must do a second round of fine tuning.

Gruß,
    Thomas

• A few updates...

The steam regulator was shipped to Reppingen for a fix
    and now works very well.

The safety valve was a lot easier to adjust when hot.

I have doubled the size of the hole in the footplate for
    the whistle steam.

The servo used for lights turned out to be too cheap.
    After a while it got very hot and the lights got dim.
    Instead of using a more expensive servo,
    I will try the Lokbeleuchtung mit RC schalten. and
    have ordered a switch from CTI-Modellbau.

A photo from a new test at the balcony:

Gruß,
    Thomas